What can you wash in a dishwasher? Besides, well, dishes? Most people never think about putting anything besides dishes, eating and cooking utensils in the dishwasher, but your dishwasher can handle a lot more. In fact, your dishwasher is actually an incredible tool to clean a lot of household items.
Don’t believe us? Check out this list of items you can wash in the dishwasher, saving you the hassle. But first, for safety reasons and to ensure you don’t damage anything, let’s go over what you should never put in the dishwasher:
Never put anything made of wood or cast-iron in the dishwasher. Similarly, keep electronic components and dishes with gold-trim away from the dishwasher. Now, onto the fun part.
- Filters and such. You’re supposed to wash your dryer lint trap every few months or so anyways, but it’s way easier to wash it in the dishwasher. This will keep it from getting clogged, which is a fire hazard. Same with heat register covers! Though make sure these aren’t brass plated, as the hot water will damage the brass.
- Gardening and housecleaning tools. If it’s not made of wood and you can fit it in the dishwasher, tools like dustpans and trowels can be cleaned very easily in the dishwasher. You can even put small brooms in if the bristles are plastic fiber! Be careful with any hollow tools, though, as the water may get trapped inside and mold.
- Bathroom items. Shower caddies are great for organization, but they get a little gross as soap and shampoo build up. Toss these hairbrushes, and cosmetic brushes in the dishwasher to freshen them up. However, make sure to remove all hair first, as this could harm your dishwasher. Toothbrush holders are great for this too!
- Light fixtures and…garbage cans? Big garbage cans might be tricky to fit inside, but smaller ones in bedrooms and offices usually fit inside. Similarly, glass or plastic light fixture shades are an ideal item to wash, as they quickly gather dust and bugs.
- Items from your stove. We talked about maintaining your oven last month: make your job easier by the stove hood filter and stove knobs in the dishwasher! Grates and drip-pans also clean up nicely in the dishwasher.
It may sound strange, but using your dishwasher to clean these household items can make your life easier. Who can argue with that? If you’re uncertain about whether or not something is safe to put in your dishwasher, call the experts at Docs!